Status of Civil Engineering Education in Turkey
Considering the number of universities in Turkey as well as the number of graduates; the level of education, the compliance of the Information Mass and ABET criteria is an issue that should be examined for Turkey;
- The ability to apply math, basic sciences and engineering knowledge, theoretical teachings in the Faculties of Engineering are more credited than practical practices. Practical practice is less than the one that most universities are going to be absent from. As a false opinion, i don't know. practical applications are only perceived as "internships".
- Experiment design, experimenting, data analysis and data interpretation capability; Construction Laboratory of many universities is inadequate as technical equipment. In addition, laboratory courses are given at an inadequate level as a loan. Experiments are often carried out by faculty members. Therefore, the students' practices in experimenting have not developed.
- The ability to design a system, components, or solution methods with the desired features; Since the education system is largely "memorized", the ability to combine different components with original practices is generally poor.
- Ability to work within an interdisciplinary group; Since the trainings are based on one-axis and one branch, learning/study discipline has not developed with different disciplines. Homework, project work in this context; free from group work.
- Identification, modeling, solving engineering problems; Problems are understood through memorization rather than analytical pottery-clan, in this way the engineer's ability to define, model and solve is dulled.
- Being aware of professional and ethical responsibilities; Economic bottleneck and increased unemployment have prevented the growth of new jobs, and engineers have had to work at relatively low wages. Such a situation; With ethical problems, he killed professionalism.
- Ability to communicate effectively; 16 in the concept of The Mass of Knowledge. The issue of "Communication", which constitutes the queue, is perhaps the most lacking of engineering programs. "Is he a civil engineer with very good technical knowledge, a moderate communication?" or "Is he a civil engineer with a very good communication, a moderate technical knowledge?" The answer to that question makes a lot of sense. It is also a fact that Big Construction companies are interested in the second question. Especially if we add to all of this the need to know at least one foreign language in communication.
- To create a wide ba-winter angle that can understand the impact of engineering solutions in a universal and social context; The lack of inventions of master and doctoral engineers who can be counted competently in the field shows the level of horizon and vision in this regard. Thesis stand on dusty shelves in libraries, the lack of integration with industry, technology, management organizations clearly demonstrates the veil of the issue.
- Defining requirements, the ability to try to learn for life; An engineer who deserves an "Engineering Degree" after four years of engineering training can sign many engineering projects today. This is the case; undermining lifelong learning.
- To know about applicable regulations; regulations are not adequately addressed in universities. In this, with the lack of practical practices, the lack of an orientation towards expertise is also effective. When civil engineers graduate, they do not fully know the regulations on the subject because they are not experts in any subject matter. In addition, today, the engineering profession is still organized on the basis of the Law on Engineering and Architecture no. 3458 dating back to 1938. This law, which is sufficient to have received a diploma in the execution of professional activity, points to an understanding contrary to the needs of the age.
- The ability to use the modern engineering tools, skills and technique required for engineering applications; Major changes in information technologies require faster and more analysis of needs. The UK-based Construction Industry Information Association (CICA) said it has more than 1,650 computer software serving the construction sector. However, the number of computer software taught in Civil Engineering trainings in our country does not exceed the fingers of one hand.
As with many engineering sciences, external factors (globalization, population growth, global warming, etc.), technological advances (new computational techniques and algorithms, robotics, intelligent systems, etc.) and new approaches (more diverse tasks in life, advanced virtue thoughts and professional ethics etc.) It influenced the vision of Civil Engineering. The rapid depletion of energy resources and increased population slated for sustainable projects, particularly in the determination of conversion and new energy sources. The importance of interdisciplinary studies is increasing day by day, and topics such as expertise, professionalism and professional ethics are being discussed in the 21st century. Century's engineering arguments are becoming more and more pronounced. In order for Turkey to remain no stranger to these arguments, the basic gains in engineering education must be reviewed and made fit for the age. In particular, compliance with ABET criteria is important in this respect. In order for the individual to internalize his technical and professional achievements in the civil engineering profession, the Professional Chambers has an obligation to carry out themes in accordance with the philosophy of lifelong learning. Time changes demand as well as science. The civil engineering profession will be greatly affected by this change, given the relatively large volume of the sector in the economy, cost-benefit and supply-demand balances. It will come even in a programmable world; it will always be open to surprises. AI, Cyberspace, Space Cities, change when you think; In the 1997 film Men In Black, it is summed up by Tommy Lee Jones; "Until a thousand years ago, everyone knew the world as the center of space. Five hundred years ago, the world was known as flat. And you knew we were alone on this planet yesterday. Imagine what you'll know for tomorrow!"